Skip to main content

disability and community dance

Exploring disability and community dance. 
What’s people’s opinions on dancers with disabilities do we think the word disabled means that person is un able ? 
Peoples mis conception on dancers with disabilities, judgment and how community dance allows equal opportunities for non disabled and disabled dancers 

Comments

  1. Interesting this has links with some of my research and lit review for my inquiry.
    For me I feel a lot of people view dance as for the more "able" body and that there is a specific type of body for dance infact dsnce and movement can be expressed in many ways. Bodies are all different and dance can be accessed by many although I'm sure funding may be an issue especially in the public and community sectors. Also what do we class as "disabled" this would be interesting to see what others think this means!
    Great to connect! Hope your module is going well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Garry thank you for your views. of course dance is for everybody and I strongly agree with you when you say a lot of people view dance as an art from for the non disabled body.
    i would love to know peoples opinions and what they class as disabled too. To me the word dis means you are dis- abled to do things but I know many dancers who have a disability with being in a wheel chair for an example but are very able to dance and use movements which doesn’t involve standing. Great to connect with you !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came in to Inclusive Dance by accident and giving myself a challenge by saying yes to a choreographic project. 'Dis'able does describe not being able, so much so that many people view it as a bad thing to have, whereas in my opinion, you need to know the person and not the disability. If you wear glasses, you have a disability, if you have a pacemaker, you have a disability, if you can't read, you have a disability. So you see it depend what your view of disability is. Most of the time it is something that is visable, like a wheelchair, or a guide dog or a cane, what about the disability you can't see? The Autisic Spectrum is a great example of this.

    I have been teaching with Para Dance UK for over 2 years now and all I see are different personalities and people who just love to dance; not only that, it is a great way to socialise, exercise and meet like minded people. Dance is a fantastic art form to interact with others and learn along the way something new whether it is a routine or just freestyling. The Arts are always forward thinking that aligned with Social Services is a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your Michael I completely agree !! I have been looking at Para Dance UK. Do you know if they have any teaching positions


      Would love to speak with you further on this
      Tara

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

communicating your ideas Sunday 17th November 2019

Unfortunately I had to miss this Skype call but thankfully my classmate filled me in on the dicussion and from what it seems there were many conversions between voice and communication. My classmate had said the call was directed to finding your own voice in different mediums and example of this would be ‘your writing voice’.  I wanted to speak more on communication within an inclusive dance class. For me this is something I sometimes find difficult within my own professional practice. Although I have previously wrote a blog on my communication with disabled dancers I feel like my knowledge has developed and my critical thinking and analyses has improved.  Finding my voice to me is challenging when working with all ages and abilities and this is something I have been challenged with on a day to day basis. A teachers voice is so important within a classroom but how is your voice acknowledged to someone who has an hearing impairment ?  Last week Monday, I taught an open dan...

knowing and learning MAPP Skype session

On Sunday 29th September I had my second group Skype meeting with my class friends and lecturers.   This Skype call was focused on learning and knowing.  I believe to learn is to already acknowledge my own prior experience. It was very interesting to hear other people’s thoughts and opinions on the importance of learning and their own learning cycle.  I feel like I learn by doing, to do is to learn (being active in the moment). This is something I have touched on whilst blogging on David Kolbs learning cycle throughout module 1 and 2 which he calls “a concrete experience”. By reflecting on experiences is learning. In my everyday life as a professional and as a student I feel like there are many ways I am learning. I learn a lot about myself by approaching certain experiences in life whether it’s within an educational setting or outside of studies.  We talked a lot of the process of learning and what we think knowing and learning is.  For me, you learn whilst tea...

ethical approaches

I recently read a book by Earl Babbie (2010) called The practice of social research  which touched on qualitative and quantitive reasesrch and ethical issues.  As I work through my module 2 assignment “inquiry project” I start to look at my research methods and approaches and how to be considerate within my research methods. One of the research methods I will be using is observation and questionnaires. As I continue to look at ethics and what it means to me, I think about the words  ‘considerate’ and ‘confidential’. I’m unsure whether I should lower my standards or opinion for working with people with and with out disabilities. I believe I shouldn’t change the way I teach or change my character. I think about interview approaches and questions I can ask with the thought of being ethical. I am ethical within my professional practise everyday but always push my students to the best of there ability with also thinking about ethical approaches and issues.  Should I be lo...