Skip to main content

my daily practise

What excites me in my daily practise ?
What do I admire ? What gets me enthusiastic?
What makes me angry or sad ?
What do I love about teaching ?
What don’t I understand ?

Like John Dewey I have been thinking about ways to talk about my experience and what having an experience means to me. I have used deweys term of reflective writing to start this essay and throughout will be comparing my reflection on teaching and my reflective thoughts with resources and researchers such as Kurt Lewin, David Kolb,and J Moon to name a few.  Like Dewey I believe reflective thinking is “careful consideration”.

“Active, persistent, and careful consideration of any belief or supposes form of knowledge in the light of the grounds that support it and the further conclusions to which it tends” (Dewey, 1993).
Like Kolb I believe I learn when involved in having a “concrete experience” Kolb describe this as ‘doing something’ which helps me recognise knowledge and experience more. I’ve always been a very slow learner and with having a learning disability I feel I learn and engage more when I see people doing something. This way I can learn by reflective observation. I also feel like active experimentation also worlds for me as I like to be practical with my learning skills.  Kolb explains that this recognition is the start of your ‘learning cycle’.
I’m trying to recognise my ways of teaching and learning and how I can apply my reflective knowledge in my practise. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

communicating your ideas Sunday 17th November 2019

Unfortunately I had to miss this Skype call but thankfully my classmate filled me in on the dicussion and from what it seems there were many conversions between voice and communication. My classmate had said the call was directed to finding your own voice in different mediums and example of this would be ‘your writing voice’.  I wanted to speak more on communication within an inclusive dance class. For me this is something I sometimes find difficult within my own professional practice. Although I have previously wrote a blog on my communication with disabled dancers I feel like my knowledge has developed and my critical thinking and analyses has improved.  Finding my voice to me is challenging when working with all ages and abilities and this is something I have been challenged with on a day to day basis. A teachers voice is so important within a classroom but how is your voice acknowledged to someone who has an hearing impairment ?  Last week Monday, I taught an open dan...

knowing and learning MAPP Skype session

On Sunday 29th September I had my second group Skype meeting with my class friends and lecturers.   This Skype call was focused on learning and knowing.  I believe to learn is to already acknowledge my own prior experience. It was very interesting to hear other people’s thoughts and opinions on the importance of learning and their own learning cycle.  I feel like I learn by doing, to do is to learn (being active in the moment). This is something I have touched on whilst blogging on David Kolbs learning cycle throughout module 1 and 2 which he calls “a concrete experience”. By reflecting on experiences is learning. In my everyday life as a professional and as a student I feel like there are many ways I am learning. I learn a lot about myself by approaching certain experiences in life whether it’s within an educational setting or outside of studies.  We talked a lot of the process of learning and what we think knowing and learning is.  For me, you learn whilst tea...

ethical approaches

I recently read a book by Earl Babbie (2010) called The practice of social research  which touched on qualitative and quantitive reasesrch and ethical issues.  As I work through my module 2 assignment “inquiry project” I start to look at my research methods and approaches and how to be considerate within my research methods. One of the research methods I will be using is observation and questionnaires. As I continue to look at ethics and what it means to me, I think about the words  ‘considerate’ and ‘confidential’. I’m unsure whether I should lower my standards or opinion for working with people with and with out disabilities. I believe I shouldn’t change the way I teach or change my character. I think about interview approaches and questions I can ask with the thought of being ethical. I am ethical within my professional practise everyday but always push my students to the best of there ability with also thinking about ethical approaches and issues.  Should I be lo...